[3830] ARRLDX SSB K5GO SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5go@cox.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K5GO SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 09:43:27 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K5GO
Operator(s): K5GO
Station: K5GO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: ARKANSAS
Operating Time (hrs): 46

  160:   36    31
   80:  105    55
   40:  277    54
   20:  725    92
   15:   94    34
   10:   37    11
-------------------
Total: 1274   277  Total Score = 1,058,694

Club:

Comments:

Odd conditions....  Perhaps a lack of activity from Europe - not sure.  I would
have given 25 to 1 odds on a lot of money betting that I would work at least
one station in either England OR Germany on 40M and would have lost the bet.  I
would not have taken those same odds betting that I would work as many VK
stations as I did on the same band or would have lost that one also.

I felt bad for the USA stations who didn't understand and would call using
split frequency in the CW band on 40M to give me a contact.

Having two or three very weak USA stations call in on Sunday afternoon on 20M,
and being very tired, especially of digging for another /wet noodle USA
station, another American voice called.  Instead of trying very hard to get his
call, I kept asking him if he was in the United States.  He was persistent and
kept calling over and over.  Finally with the help of a preamp I got his call -
XU7ACY.  That provided a little excitement for me.

It was fun to move the multipliers around - best move was during a "run" of 5
Australians on 80M V31XX called in and gave me a new one on that band.  We then
moved to 40M and 160M and I was back within two minutes to finish the "run" of
the last two Australians.

It has probably been at least 30 years since I worked a Phone DX Contest single
operator, if I ever did it.

Slept exactly 1.5 hours from 10:20 PM until 11:50PM  Saturday night.

Regardless of the conditions, I had fun using the station and tried as hard as
I could.

73 and thanks to the DX for the contacts.

Stan, K5GO