[3830] ARRLDX SSB N3IQ M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, brian@braintrustcorp.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N3IQ M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 17:09:13 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N3IQ
Operator(s): ND3F, W3DIO, WB8YYY
Station: N3IQ

Class: M/S HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 43

  160:   27    22
   80:   98    53
   40:  160    60
   20:  424    91
   15:  120    39
   10:   22     7
-------------------
Total:  851   272  Total Score = 694,416

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Ouch!  That was rough.  We had a group of 3 mostly CW guys try to
pilot a station that has been used almost totally for CW.  Missed having
the South and West arrays on 80/160M--had some switching problems that
I could not resolve just before the contest...calling the southern guys
on the NE array was painful.  As this was a training session, the
"new" guys got exposed to a wide array of broken put-outs on packet; we had
best success just tuning from top to bottom and ignoring the spots, sometimes!
Found a few guys on 10M that would pop up for just a few moments, long enough
to make a contact, almost like meteor scatter on VHF.  Did not work JA on 160,
80, or 40, but heard a few--especially loud at 270 degrees after dawn on
Sunday, s9 or so, but the ones that we heard could not hear us--or anyone else,
apparently.  Missed some EU on 160 due to some sort of line noise that we had
not had before.
We had good food and good fun, and all learned a lot!