[3830] ARRLDX SSB GW4BLE SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, GW4BLE@btconnect.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB GW4BLE SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 06:48:32 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: GW4BLE
Operator(s): GW4BLE
Station: GW4BLE

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Newport, Wales
Operating Time (hrs):
Radios: SO2R

  160:   51    19
   80:  238    35
   40:  141    27
   20: 1622    58
   15:   13     9
   10:
-------------------
Total: 2065   148  Total Score = 916,860

Club: CONTEST CAMBRIA

Comments:

What a contest!  Haven't done an all-band ARRL for a while - maybe this wasn't a
good year for me to try again :-(

Weather played havoc to my 40m antenna - looks like something went severely
intermittent about 9pm Sunday evening as SWR went very high and must have cost
me dearly with lost Qs, just as the band started to open properly from here!

First night I made just ONE contact all night (W3LPL) on 40, only taking my
total to 99 by close-of-play Saturday. Normally I would expect several hundred
Qs on the band.

Speaking with an OZ station Saturday morning he said his SB40 total (with 3 ele
quad @ 120') was only FIVE (!), so that was some indication of poor propagation,
at least at our latitude.

Top-band was a surprise, well for me anyway, making 51 Qs and 19 mults. Tower
is shunt-fed and used for RX as well, so noise level is often high. Heard a lot
of other DX on the band, so conditions must have been good.

Overall, given the conditions, I felt that I wasn't doing that badly - had the
40m antenna not gone kaput Sunday evening I could perhaps have added another
few 100+ contacts to the log, probably more, who knows.....

Steve GW4BLE