[3830] Commonwealth VA7ST Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth VA7ST Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 16:19:42 -0700
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs):

------------
   80:    3
   40:   18
   20:   96
   15:
   10:
------------
Total:  117  Total Score = 1,545

Club:

Comments:

Flux: 70-71  | Ap: 2  | Kp: 2-4 for most of the contest. Condx "poor."

The multi-op entry is because I had to open a web cluster in my final couple of
hours to keep out of the way of the Clipperton expedition. They had command of
the bottom end of all bands during the last half of the contest, and finding a
place to run was safest with the extra help of cluster spots for the
DXpedition.

Score down nearly 400 points from last year. Conditions were certainly not good
for a DX contest, but we made the best of it. G stations not heard until
Saturday morning, and that 20M opening produced less than half of last year's G
total -- G4BUO was loudest and heard well after most others could no longer be
heard. HQ stations were also rare. ZS1EL was my only AF station (20M).

No Gs on 40M. Worked almost solely VK and ZL stations on 40M, with VE6LB as my
only Canadian Q and we didn't have a good path between us. So the band was
definitely long, but only to OC from British Columbia.

Worked VK4EMM and ZL2IFB on 80M, which was nice, especially seeing as I didn't
find a single workable (non-VE7) Canadian during my time on 80M.

Always challenging to handle non-BERU callers. Not as many of them this year,
but I had one stateside fellow off the back of the beam decide I was sending
"CONTEST BERU" as an invitation for a rag-chew. Alas, by the time I
accommodated his need for name, QTH and other idle chit-chat, the opening to
Europe had faded away.

Nice to work VP8NO once again -- BERU is the only time I ever hear Falkland
Is., even though I beam that way very often in contests looking for deep South
America.

Hope everyone who needs Clipperton gets them! Got 'em on 40M during their first
session, but 80M and 20M have been impossible despite their 599+20 signals here
in B.C.

Now on to RDXC and WPX SSB!