[3830] Commonwealth ZL2BR Open HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, zl2br@ihug.co.nz
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth ZL2BR Open HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 23:41:58 -0700
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: ZL2BR
Operator(s): ZL2BR
Station: ZL2BR

Class: Open HP
QTH: New Plymouth
Operating Time (hrs): 23

------------
   80:   49
   40:  147
   20:   59
   15:   15
   10:
------------
Total:  270  Total Score = 4,250

Club:

Comments:

Poor conditions, much worse than expected and certainly worse than 2007. QSO
totals down on 2007. Compared with 2007, G contacts were down from 101 to 83,
VE down from 81 to 53 etc.

ZL participation was also down, 15 stations active compared with 21 in 2007,
maybe because of conditions.

Did not hear or work any African stations, or V26CC, VP8NO, ZC4LI etc. It would
seem they all spent a lot of their time on 21/28 working G/VE.

The first two hours of the contest produced about 35 per cent of my contacts.

Major gripe. On Sunday evening, aware of the TX5C activity, I was enjoying a
small run of G's on 40m when I was instructed by a policeman to QSY, TX5C was
on 7007. I objected, afterall I was on 7006.5. But the policeman was persistent
and I was prevented from making any further contacts, so I moved down the band.
Later would you believe, again aware that the TX5C web site said they would be
using 3007, I started CQing on 3502, worked a couple of stations, then a TX5C
policeman told me that 3502 was being used by TX5C. I objected saying the
frequency was not being used by TX5C, but the policeman was persistent again.
So I moved down to 3501.5. About ten minutes later TX5C appeared on 3502, he
had a very loud signal in ZL. So all I can assume is that he must have been
taking a break when I started using 3502, but his policeman was keeping the
frequency clear for him until he returned. What the hell is going on, why were
they using 3502?

Some positive notes to finish on. 40m still open to G land at 0930utc, way way
after their sunrise, with very good signals from GM3JKS and GI3OQR. Overall
G4TSH was the pick of the G signals on all bands.

Despite the poor conditions, I was very happy that the ZL Team stuck to their
task and made the best of it, but unfortunately our grip on the team trophy is
not looking too good.

Equipment:
TS-2000 and AL-80B
Triband yagi, 7MHz GP, 7MHz receive dipole, 80m dipole

73, Frank