[3830] OkQP K5YAC SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] OkQP K5YAC SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 07:09:22 -0700
                    Oklahoma QSO Party

Call: K5YAC
Operator(s): K5YAC
Station: K5YAC

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Rogers
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:
   80:      4       20
   40:     10      153
   20:     22      138
   15:      1
   10:
------------------------
Total:     37      311  Mults = 50  Total Score = 36,650

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

Worked the party from Rogers county again this year (home QTH).  I spent the
first 4 hours on 20M, but it looks like I might have been more productive if
I'd looked at 40M a little earlier.  Only 60 Qs by noon on Saturday, then
doubled that by 2PM, so the activity kept me in my chair.

20M didn't seem to open until late Saturday morning, and never did really pick
up on Sunday...40M seemed to be quite active through most of the weekend,
worked a few on 80M Sunday, and 15M was even open for an hour or so on Sunday
afternoon.  I listened to 15M several times and heard many CW stations coming
in around noon on Sunday... then I started to hear SSB stations carrying on
some regular conversation a bit later, so I figured I'd cash in on the
unexpected opening.  I called for a good 5 minutes or so right on .360, but no
luck... so back I went down to 20 and 40.  Checked back on 15 again a bit later
and many of those stations were still there... so I tried again for a bit...
zilch'o... nobody home.  Since I didn't want to interrupt the conversations
that were going on (breaking in), I just scooted down to where TX5C was working
em like gangbusters on CW... threw my call out and quickly scored my only 15M
QSO.  Not sure if anyone else noticed 15M?  Perhaps MUF was somewhere between
.200 and .360, making the top of the band unusable?  Heck, I don't know.  Now I
kind of wish I would have just picked a clear spot lower in the band to call CQ.

Overall, not a bad time at all.  I took several short breaks on Saturday to get
some other things done, started an hour late on Sunday and quit and hour early.
It was waaay to nice outside to be indoors, and since I'm so tired of the cold
weather, I had to get out and enjoy it some.  Oh, I also had to get the smoker
fired up... when K5YAA and K5YAB got back from their rover route we sat down to
some smoked ribs, beans and potato salad and swapped stories.  See you all next
weekend at Green Country!

73,
Mark