[3830] ARRLDX SSB P40A(KK9A) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@p40a.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB P40A(KK9A) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 05:52:23 -0700
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: P40A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: P40A

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 44
Radios: SO2R

  160:  200    44
   80:  533    56
   40: 1440    58
   20: 2005    58
   15: 2303    58
   10:   19     3
-------------------
Total: 6500   277  Total Score = 5,401,500

Club:

Comments:

Fantastic conditions!  I know the majority of the participants will strongly
disagree with this statement, however from Aruba propagation was great on all
bands except for 10m.   I did hear a nice 10m opening a few days before the
contest.  Unfortunately, during the contest it never really occurred from my
location.  On Saturday, I listened to HC8A and others in South America running
stations for hours but I did not hear a peep out of the U.S. until late in the
afternoon.  My 10m opening only covered a small area of the southwestern United
States.  The rates were not fast and I worked very few new multipliers, so I did
not spend much time on this band.  I listened often on my second transceiver for
a better opening and never found one.  I made most of my contacts on 15m.  This
band was quiet since there was almost no propagation to Europe and it produced
the best rates.  During the quickest hour I logged more than 300 stations.
20m was crowded and the rates were slower than on 15m, however the band was
open from sunrise to past sunset and it produced very good QSO totals.  During
the night, I spent most of my time on 40m where I always seemed to be able to
generate a pileup.   Throughout the night, I regularly changed to either 80m or
160m, usually making around 30 QSOs before going back to 40m.  There was little
noise on the low bands and the night time conditions were exceptional.  I would
like to thank everyone for the QSOs, especially those who worked me on multiple
bands.  I worked 4100 different stations, 89 stations on five bands and only
N5AW and KB5TX made it into the log on all six bands.  The climate in Aruba is
rough on antenna systems.  The constant wind combined with the salt spray
causes very accelerated corrosion to the antennas and towers.  It has been two
years since I did any maintenance and thankfully everything is still up and
working properly during this fun contest.  I would also like to thank Tim,
WD9DZV for doing a great job as my QSL manager.

73,
John
john@p40a.com

Antenna picture on http://www.qrz.com/p40a