[3830] BARTG K4XD SOAB-6 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] BARTG K4XD SOAB-6 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 05:37:55 -0700
                    BARTG HF RTTY Contest

Call: K4XD
Operator(s): K4XD
Station: K4XD

Class: SOAB-6 HP
QTH: Raleigh, NC
Operating Time (hrs): 6

   80:   43       5         14
   40:   80      12         13
   20:   71      30         10
   15:    5       4          3
   10:    0       0          0
-----------------------------------
Total:  199      51         40  Continents = 6  Total Score = 108,654

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The six hour format was great for Easter weekend -- actually it's very nice to
have an abbreviated time class to enter in any contest given the need to juggle
life with radio.  I did miss my second radio though, which is not allowed in
this class.  Nice to work two JA's late Saturday afternoon, nice to see JA open
in that time slot on 20M in a couple of recent contests.  Sunday morning I
wanted to get my last hour starting at 1200 on 20M looking at EU, but I saw
ZM2B CQ'ing on 40M at 1130 and decided to go for the sixth continent mult.
That started the clock on my last hour so went up to 20M and took what I could
get.  Was shooting for 100K points and 200 Q's, with 6 minutes to go I decided
to give CQ'ing a shot and had 4 quick Q's in a couple minutes, and was sure I'd
hit the 200 mark.  Then ... nothing!  With 2 minutes to go I abandoned the
CQ'ing ship and went S&P'ing.  Got one more and then, as in many things in
life, ended up a minute late and a Q short.  Oh well.  I have all the more
respect for last year's top SOAB6 entrants who almost doubled my Q count.
Another fun part of the short time format is that picking the right 6 hours
really challenges your strategy.  Lots of fun and hope to CU all again next
time.

Icom 756ProII
Tokyo HyPower HL-1.5KFX usually at 600W
Hexbeam for 10M (ha) - 20M
Cobra Ultralight Jr for 40M
Cobra Ultralight Sr for 80M
Donner Digital AFSK interface
WriteLog / MMTTY

73,
Rowland K4XD

PS, bought a Spiderbeam 5 HD used, arrived Friday but haven't put it up yet.
Need to knock down a couple of trees first.  Hoping to get it at 15 - 17M
elevation, an improvement over the Hexbeam at about 12M.