[3830] GaQP N5DO Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5do@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] GaQP N5DO Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 20:24:09 -0700
                    Georgia QSO Party

Call: N5DO
Operator(s): N5DO
Station: N5DO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:    5      0
   80:   33     10
   40:  117     25
   20:   91     86
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
    6:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  246    121  CW Mults = 130  Ph Mults = 55  Total Score = 113,405

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

If anyone thinks state QSO parties are not popular, they should have been
listening on 40M CW during the last hour of the Georgia contest.  As a mobile
pulled into a new county the pileups were huge!  I was particularly aware of
the size of the pileups because I was trying to break through them, and it was
not easy.  My Cushcraft 402CD was not working well by this time (something is
wrong with the feed, maybe the balun or maybe just the coax) and the SWR was
wildly fluctuating during the last two hours.  20M was dead and it was too
early for 80M, so everyone was jammed into 40M.

It was lots of fun to chase the GA mobiles around, but my QTH in west Texas was
a little too far from GA for 40M during the middle of the day.  I could hear
many of the mobiles just fine, but they could not hear me.

I also learned in this contest just how spoiled I have become.  I usually have
an SO2R setup with many tasks automated (like changing the log and antennas
automatically as I change the band on the rig).  Since both rigs are not
working at the present time, I used an FT 897D I recently purchased.  I found
that most of the connectors I use on my FT 1000MPs don't work on the FT 897, so
I had to do almost everything manually and I kept forgetting.  I will certainly
be glad to get everything working again.

Thanks to all the Georgia stations for a great weekend!