[3830] 7QP K7ZSD M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7zsd@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] 7QP K7ZSD M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 19:08:54 -0700
                    7th Area QSO Party

Call: K7ZSD
Operator(s): KI7Y, N7OU, KR7X, K7RF, W7ZB, KO5D, K7GK, K7ZSD
Station: K7ZSD

Class: M/M HP
QTH: ORWSH
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:    1      15
   80:  104     131
   40:  307     340
   20:  430    1296
   15:   52      11
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Well, another party at Smoke Ranch for the 7QP. We started preparing for the QP
the day before the test and everything was in place at 4am, just 2 hours to the
start. We started a homebrew 3el 20m Yagi Friday afternoon and placed it on a
little 43 ft tower at the other end of the property for the CW station. I came
off the little tower 10 minutes after dark Friday evening. We put a vertical up
for 40m near the same location, parked KI7Ys camper there, and thus the new
station for CW. This gave us some 500ft of separation from the two tower ZSD
contest station so we could operate CW and phone simultaneously on 20 and 40m.
It was not perfect, we had to choose certain CW and phone frequencies to reduce
hash, but it worked.

So the remainder of the night was spent getting writelog with the 7QP module to
work. I wish WinTest had QSO party support.

It was off to the races at 6am Saturday, with no band conditions for a couple
of hours. The remainder of the contest went very well with three stations
manned 95% of the time. The bands were very noisy all the way to 15m with lots
of static crashes. The QSB on all bands meant many fills. I know we were pretty
loud but many stations were just at the noise, and I apologize if we missed you.
Over and over we asked stations to call back later.

We ended up with the best score yet in this event, and it was all due to the
great group of operators here this weekend. They worked hard, stayed in the
chair, and hung in there when the bands would not. Many thanks to Jim, KI7Y,
Bill N7OU who came Friday morning, and to Hank KR7X, Sergey KO5D, John K7RF,
Mark W7ZB, and Denis K7GK, all are some of the best operators in the world.
Thank You.

One cannot say enough about all the guys and gals out there who are always
there playing radio, polite, courteous, and patient. Special thanks to the
fellow in Texas on Saturday night who, after three tries at giving me his
report, I had trouble with his phonetics, asked me to QRX, came back, and with
great diction informed me he had put his teeth back in��Thank you.

See you all next year........Brad