[3830] WPX CW WB8JUI SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, therickman@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW WB8JUI SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 19:28:12 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: WB8JUI
Operator(s): WB8JUI
Station: WB8JUI

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Bellevue, Ohio
Operating Time (hrs):

------------
  160:    0
   80:   20
   40:  279
   20:  218
   15:   92
   10:   63
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Due in part to high gas prices, I cancelled my annual pilgrimage to the Indy
500.  Not a problem though, as I was able to do some contesting and chores
around the house.

It was not a good time to have my beam down due to rotor failure.  An all band
"fan vertical" was quickly assembled Friday evening after work.  It played
fairly well considering it was mounted at ground level.  Good enough for some
S&P QSOs.

10 meters is showing signs of life.  Every time I checked, there was some
activity.  It's amazing what a contest will do for a "dead" band.

As others have noted, conditions were bizarre to say the least.  Propagation
was up and down.  Signals were S9 one minute, and then totally gone a few
seconds later, usually when I transmitted my exchange.

Thanks to all for the QSOs.

73- Rick WB8JUI