[3830] WPX CW WX5S(@W6YX) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW WX5S(@W6YX) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 00:03:13 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: WX5S
Operator(s): WX5S,K6OWL,W6RK,N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 41

------------
  160:
   80:  166
   40:  562
   20:  965
   15:  426
   10:  284
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

After missing more than half of the first 14 hours including prime time on 40 to
JA this ended up being more of a fun than serious contest for us.  The station
was manned by a single operator for about 20 of the 41 hours we were on the
air.

10 meters seemed to be open to the US and Canada for much of the daytime both
days but tuning across the band I'd only hear the same 6 or 7 stations CQing.
Only 2 Caribbean stations were worked on 10 - P43JB and J39BS had nice signals
in the 1900 and 2000Z hours on Saturday.

A few times I heard stations answering someone else on my CQ frequency on 10 so
I'd move a bit.  I had N9AUG and N9AG call at the same time and struggled to
copy N9AUG's number while N9AG kept sending a call correction.

We only worked 1 EU on 15, EE2W.  JA runs on 15 were not great, but the band
was open late and we worked several JAs, YB and VK6 after midnight local.

We could never get much of a run going to EU on 20 at any time.  We could
either CQ and work mostly 1 point Q's or S&P at a slower rate and work
3-pointers.  JA runs peaked at much higher rates.  There were several loud EU
stations on 20 that we never were able to work - either they had a pileup of
other EUs or they just kept CQing when we called.

40 was good to JA on the second night, probably since we missed most of the
opening the first night.  We worked a small number of EU stations on 40 the
second evening.

All of our 80 meter contacts were on the second day.  We didn't even try 160.

Congrats to all on their high scores.  It was nice that band conditions were
much better than the propagation predictions.

73,
-Mike, N7MH