[3830] WPX CW DL3YM(@DF2PY) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, gissel@fh-ludwigshafen.de
Subject: [3830] WPX CW DL3YM(@DF2PY) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 05:04:20 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: DL3YM
Operator(s): DL3YM
Station: DF2PY

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 36.0
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:   38
   80:  321
   40: 1011
   20:  956
   15:  339
   10:   72
------------

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

Since I do contests @ DF2PY murphy spared us a visit, so probably it was about
time for him to show up big time.

Lost the second radio solid state amp the first night after literally only a
handful of Qs, only to be followed by the main radio amp on Saturday afternoon,
forcing me to take an unplanned 7 hour break during prime running time.
Realized, however, that contesting is not for Sissies, so got my act together
and really tried to push as hard as I could from then on.

Conditions sure were significantly improved over last year. I realize there was
a lot of fun to be had on 10. However, I did only comb the band with the second
radio (all 160 Qs were with the second radio, too) as there was simply not
enough DX volume compared to 15 and 20. In addition I figured that I would work
most EU prefixes which were prevalent there later during the night on 40 and 80
anyway. As has been said by others, 15 and 20 reminded me of those glorious
days when there were plenty of sunspots. Sunday evening brought a great 20
meter opening to the US with lots of loud west coast signals, while on 15
exotic prefixes from central and south America were parked right next to each
other. Finished the contest running on 40 and doing 80 meter S&P-ing with the
second radio trying to push my score above the existing DL record. Failed to
accomplish that (it might have been broken by some other DL fellow this year
anyway) but came close and reached a new personal best.

Bottom line: a fun weekend with lots of lessons learned.

Tnx all for the Qs. Like always, mni tnx to Wolf & family for all the support
and to my boys & XYL for letting me go over the weekend.