[3830] WPX CW OG6A(OH6QU) SOSB40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, oh6qu@sral.fi
Subject: [3830] WPX CW OG6A(OH6QU) SOSB40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 13:11:16 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: OG6A
Operator(s): OH6QU
Station: OH4A

Class: SOSB40 HP
QTH: Kisko
Operating Time (hrs): 35

------------
  160:
   80:
   40: 1500
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

The original plan was to enter the contest in M/S-category but due to
a few last minute cancellations we had not enough operators for that
contest category. Therefore Jukka OH6LI and I decided to go for a
single band operations instead.

I chose 40M which I have never worked as a single band with a "serious"
contest setup. Last time I have been in CQ WPX CW on SOSB 40M in early
1980's with low power and dipole.

I set my goal to challenge the old OH record of WPX CW SOSB 40M HP
that is around 1.5 Mpoints i.e. 1000 QSOs and 500 multipliers. It
seemed reasonable as we have reached that level earlier even in M/2
-category.

The beginning of the contest was just fun. The QSO rate was close to
100 Qs/h several hours which gave me high hopes for making a new OH
record. Also the high number of DXes among the QSOs was positive sign.
What worried me most was the modest signal strength of the North
Americans which indicated some minor geomagnetic disturbance. Luckily
the condx didn't get too bad during the contest eventhough the K-index
was going up and down throughout the weekend.

Thanks to good attendance on 40M, moderate conditions and the great
setup at OH4A it took only 24 hours (minus 6 hours off time) to reach
the old OH record. During the second 24 hours (18 hours operating
time) I managed to pull around 2 million points gap to old OH record
making the raw score of 3.5 million point.

Thanks for Jukka OH6LI and Merja for your hospitality and an
opportunity to use the great station once again!

Thanks to everyone who worked OG6A! QSL sure via buro

Equipment:
Yaesu FT-1000MP with mods
Amplifier/1.5 kW
2 over 2 el full size yagis at 44 m / 24 m
Shortened 2 el yagi at 20 m