[3830] WPX CW 9M2CNC(G4ZFE) SOAB(TS) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, g4zfe@g4zfe.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW 9M2CNC(G4ZFE) SOAB(TS) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 17:43:02 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: 9M2CNC
Operator(s): G4ZFE
Station: 9M2CNC

Class: SOAB(TS) HP
QTH: Kuala Lumpur
Operating Time (hrs): 34

------------
  160:    0
   80:    0
   40:  288
   20:  872
   15:  405
   10:   57
------------

Club: VKCC

Comments:

Station:
Elecraft K3/100 and IC-PW1 (400W output)
Force 12 C3-S at 12m
40m Inverted V at 12m
HF2V with 32 x 33' radials

Better condx than last year and my first serious contest with my K3. The K3 is
a great radio and an improvement over the 756 Pro I that was being used
previously from 9M2.

The condx were very variable and by the end of Saturday I thought that it was
going to be a washout. However Sunday was an enjoyable contesting day.

80m - no QSOs. I scanned the bands a few time but the static levels were too
high. I did not install a RX antenna for this contest.

40m - my problem band. Neither the HF2V not the Inverted V were being heard
well in EU. It was frustrating to hear 9V1YC working EU at great rates. Getting
spotted on 40m is so important.

20m - not so good on Saturday but the band was very quiet on Sunday and I found
a clear frequency high in the band and had a most enjoyable EU run. I worked
many QRP stations and even a LY bicycle mobile station. It's not often that the
band is quiet here and condx are stable. There was a fairly good over the pole
opening to the East Coast of the USA but I wasn't being heard. K1LZ had a good
signal (as usual) but couldn't hear me :-(  P40L had a crushing signal and with
K3s at both ends the QSO was easy :-)

15m - again poor on Saturday but better on Sunday. Not as good as usual.

10m - nice to hear EU again and also work England. It's been a long time since
I last did that. With sporadic E in EU it was difficult to find a run frequency
that was clear in EU. I should have made more of the openings on the band.

An improvement over last years score but I need more aluminium. A 2-ele on
10/15/20 is not enough in low sunspot years. I especially need to look at
improving my 40m signal.

Thank you for all the QSOs and the log will be uploaded into LoTW next week.
QSL is via G4ZFE, bureau or direct.

73 de Rich, 9M2CNC/G4ZFE