[3830] AlQP W4AN/M(@KU8E/M) Mobile Multi-OpCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4bai@worldnet.att.net
Subject: [3830] AlQP W4AN/M(@KU8E/M) Mobile Multi-OpCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 19:38:24 -0700
                    Alabama QSO Party

Call: W4AN/M
Operator(s): K4BAI, KU8E
Station: KU8E/M

Class: Mobile Multi-OpCW LP
QTH: 18 AL counties
Operating Time (hrs): 10:40

  160:    0     0        0         0
   80:   41     0
   40:  315     0
   20:  260     0
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
Total:  616     0       43         0  Total Score = 52,976

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

IC756ProII 100W, mobile whips.  We got a slightly late start. Bands seemed dead.
 40M whip wasn't resonant and had to use an antenna tuner.  Bought a used
computer and Jeff made up files to log with NA.  Unfortunately, back up didn't
include a left handed paddle.  Appears power inverted being used with older
computers was inadequate to power the new one.  Battery ran down and had to log
on paper and send with a paddle into the internal keyer in the rig.  Jeff sends
with a left handed paddle and didn't make but a few QSOs, but he made a
terrific route planner and driver.  Conditions improved as day went on.  80M
seemed quiet where we were.  We passed a ham antenna installation off the
highway north of Mobile.  We were behind and ahead of KN4Y late in the contest,
but he or his driver didn't seem to notice us and we didn't hear him on the air
at that time.  Sorry to miss an in-person meeting.  Rest of the "down town"
after we started a few minutes late was for meals and/or trying to fix the
computer and antennas.  Thanks for all the QSOs.  We worked 40 states and three
Canadian areas.  Missed:  VT, RI, MS, HI, AK, UT, MT, SD, ND, WY.  Worked:  VE1,
VE3, VE7.  Also worked DX:  CU2JT, F6FHO, CT1BWW, OK2EC, ZF2DO (op by N5DO),
G4RRA, F5VHC, and DL3DXX.  Worked CU2JT and DL3DXX on 40M.  Hope we can get it
all together by next year.  Congratulations to ACG and KC4HW and all the other
promoters and sponsors.  It was quite a chore to enter all those QSOs into the
logging program post contest.  Hope I won't have to do that again.

Counties activated:  CHMB, LEE, MACO, TPOO, MGMY, LOWN, BUTL, CONE, MNRO, ESCA,
COVI, DALE, HOUS, HNRY, BARB, COFF, ELMO, AUTA.

Thanks for all the QSOs.  73, John, K4BAI.