[3830] ARRL June VHF W0ETT Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w0ett@msn.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF W0ETT Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:16:47 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  304   160  Total Score = 48,960

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Brother in law and I drove his RV 480 miles RT to Springfield, CO, Baca County,
in grid DM87 to put on one of the "rare 24 grids".   Made 283 six meter QSOs
hopefully reducing the number who were looking to get DM87 confirmed for the
W5FF Work all 550 Grids Award.

Had hoped that down in the corner of CO that I would also get some good 2 mtr
openings into central TX, OK, and NM but it was not to be. Did a lot of CW
cqing in those directions but nary a reply. In Kansas, I did work N0KQY and
N0YK in DM98 and KB0HH in EM06 in KS - but no one else in that big state.
Other 2m contacts were back to GMCCers W0EEA and N0POH in the Denver area,
GMCCer W0KVA in DM89 and Jonesy W3DHJ/R in DM78 and my grid DM87!  Never heard
Phil N0KE on any band tho I did hear others working him on 6m.

Good six meter openings in most directions this June contest in stark contrast
to last year's dud of a June VHF QSO Party.  Interestingly, had a 6m Es opening
back into the Denver area when I worked GMCCer K9MWM in DM69, and GMCCer K0UK in
DM59...talk about short skip!!   Even got in on a couple 2m Es openings with S9
signals on Sunday with one seeming to last 20-25 minutes to WA5UUD in EM62 and
N1LF and 4 others in EM63 and the other lasting about 15 minutes to W7MEM in
DN17.

It was a FB vhf contest for me!

73 Ken, W0ETT
portable in DM87 southeastern Colorado

Rig:  IC756pro3 100w for 6m to 3 el CC and 6m GP both about 25 ft high.  IC910
100w for 2m and 50w for 432 at 20 ft.