[3830] ARRL June VHF K9AKS Single Op Port QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, croseman@usc.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K9AKS Single Op Port QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 19:57:39 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  259   143  Total Score = 39,611

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Set up in my car at the Plattsmouth airport south of town.  A good VHF site:
level to the west and north, a reasonable drop-off through the eastern
hemisphere; and quiet. To no one's surprise now, 6 meters was the highlight.
My 114 grids on that band is the highest I have ever reached running QRP
portable. Lots of good operators pulled my cw or ssb out of the mud, which I
really appreciate. But I also had a couple of good runs with people actually
calling me!  Major wind on Saturday afternoon caused me much trouble with my
hand-rotated push-up tower [and by Sunday night my left arm was really sore!]
and a big thunderstorm on Sunday morning prevented me from working a wide-open
six for over two hours.  The higher frequency bands were a disappointment--I
was too far from most medium-sized or big stations to get their attention.
However, I did not have enough time to work on them because six was open for
most of Saturday evening and most of Sunday. Listened to almost two hours of
Aurora on two Saturday afternoon; mostly Minnesota stations, but none could
near my ten watts from the boonies.  But there was a two-meter highlight:
worked five stations in three grids in Nevada, Oregon, and Idaho on sporadic-E
Sunday afternoon! Cool.