[3830] ARRL FD K6VVA 1D HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, b38@hilding.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD K6VVA 1D HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 17:36:11 -0700

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  160     0       0  Total Score = 320

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was a brief indoor Shakedown Cruise of my new (used) Expert 1K-FA amp with
stuff setup on a folding table off to the side of my home station (
http://www.k6vva.com/arrl2008fd ).

W6SC and I originally planned to operate from Locust Peak, but with all the bad
air lingering from the recent fires out here (one that came within 1,000 feet of
my home QTH last weekend - http://www.k6vva.com/locustfires ), we blew it off.
Ironically, we took a quick run up the hill just before FD started to measure
for a 2nd Security Gate that needs to be put in BEFORE I leave any equipment up
there permanently.

I purposefully added 1D after my callsign when CQ'ing, and got very frustrated
when so many other 1D stations still called me (the rules do NOT allow for 1D
to 1D qsos).  Then in a later brief stint, I found myself QLFing when I called
W0UA (also 1D) twice on the same band.  Gheeeez.

It was amazing in my limited on-air session to have so many unrecognized
callsigns say 'Hi Locust' or 'Hi Rick', which upon inquiry turned out to be
many Thursday Night NS Squad folks like K4RO, KU5B & others in the operator
chairs of real deal Field Day stations.  Also ran into fellow NCCCer Mike/WA60
at K6MI, and the real surprise was to get a Locust greeting from Arnie/N6HC,
who was operating from with a W0 callsign in North Dakota !!!  He used the word
'Snow' which sure was a contrast to Arnie's recent WX experiences on Clipperton
Island :^)

IMHO, all FD Captains should disable or break off the RIT knobs on radios
BEFORE letting people operate.

73 & Tnx for the Q's during my amp testing...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust