[3830] IARU K5ZD SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5zd@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU K5ZD SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 05:36:31 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K5ZD
Operator(s): K5ZD
Station: K5ZD

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: W1
Operating Time (hrs): 17
Radios: SO2R

  160:    91     6     12       16
   80:   175    60     20       27
   40:   346   137     24       33
   20:   353   346     28       35
   15:   134   172     18       26
   10:    21    28      8       16
-------------------------------------
Total:  1120   749    110      153  Total Score = 1,502,519

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

An interesting and entertaining contest. Always fun to do SO2R with both modes.

I was a single parent for the first 12 hours of the contest.  That meant
stealing operating time between entertaining my 6 year old daughter.  So missed
some of the best hours.  Operated both radios hard when I was on, but knew I was
not going to be competitive.

Contest started out kind of slow.  Bands didn't seem very open - except for all
the very loud HQ stations.  DA0HQ, OL4HQ, and OM8HQ were beacons on 15m all the
first day.  Suprised to find 10m open to Europe for hours.  Mostly to southern
Europe with very little activity except HQ stations.

Missed some good rate hours (the 3 hours before sunset).  Also spent some time
DXing on the low bands and on 10m.

Very suprised to get on at 0030z and find the low bands in great shape.  Was
able to run on 80 and even had some answers on 160.  The Eu stations were very
loud the 90 minutes around their sunrise.

Hard to crack the Europeans working each other during their morning and midday.
 Nice opening on 15 meters during the last hour.  Had several stations say I was
the only USA on the band.  That's cool!

Never heard a JA all weekend!  Only worked 5 UA9/0 stations. Anything over the
pole wasn't happening.

Worked URE HQ station EF8U on every band/mode except 160m SSB!  Also worked
HG80HQ, NU1AW/0, OE1A, and YT8HQ on all 6 bands.  Could have had 9A0HQ, but
their 160 op couldn't hear (in spite of being almost S8 here!).

Ended up operating way more than I had intended.  Only slept 2 hours.