[3830] IARU N1UR SO SSB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sawyered@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] IARU N1UR SO SSB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 10:34:09 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SO SSB LP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 23
Radios: SO2R

  160:           11     3        2
   80:           82    14       17
   40:          248    20       29
   20:          540    22       30
   15:           89    12       23
   10:           55     9       16
-------------------------------------
Total:   0     1025    80      117  Total Score = 511,609

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

The old LP USA SSB Only record was 328k.

This was a very changing contest with conditions.  I had a terrible opening
hour with EU not easily workable on 20 and the US not really open either.  But
as the day progressed, things got better.

On 10 and 15, I was just not strong enough with LP to run but was able to work
much of the EU heard.  I tried running quite a bit on 15 with very limited
results.  20 was a reasonable running band to USA and sometimes EU. But EU SSB
activity seemed very low actually other than HQ stations.  Even though the
sunrise EU opening on 20 at 05Z+ was there, I could not generate any calls from
CQs and had worked literally every station CQing.  I took an hour at 1am to be
fresh for the balance and that was a really good idea.

I actually heard JA about 15 mins befire the end of the contest but the 2
stations that I heard calling could not hear me.

I felt pretty loud on 20M and 40M.  My 80M west direction still needs work.

I set out to push the bar up on the LP SSB record number for this contest and
did so.  There is A LOT more that can be done with that score with better
conditions.

By the way, USA SSB participation was excellent.  I was over 100 an hour many
times on 20 and 40 with the beams west.

73

Ed  N1UR