[3830] IARU W7YAQ SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU W7YAQ SO CW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 23:37:04 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W7YAQ
Operator(s): W7YAQ
Station: W7YAQ

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:   30             6       3
   80:  121            11       6
   40:  138            20       6
   20:  368            33      18
   15:  151            12       9
   10:   36             5       1
-------------------------------------

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

This was my first serious contest effort from our new QTH near Sisters, Oregon.
K7PN and his crew got the 70 foot tower completed and 3-element Steppir with
40/30 dipole option installed on Monday.  I set up a MA160V 160M vertical on
Wednesday, and I put up an inverted vee for 80 on Friday.  It was also a chance
to get familiar with the new K3.

Iâ??m happy with the new gear, although there were times when I questioned
whether the Steppir was working NE to EU (25 QSOs total) or NW to JA (28 QSOs).
 The K3 is a big improvement over previous receivers I have used.  Like someone
mentioned on their post, I kept the K3 noise reduction feature on during the
whole contest.  It seemed to help with the QRN.  It's also nice to be able to
move lower in the band, knowing that if there is a tiny opening near a strong
signal, I can still call CQ and hear the weak replies.  I do need to
investigate though why the rig was only producing 70 watts out on 20 meters,
but 100 watts on the other bands.

This contest is one of my favorites, because of the 24-hour format and the
propagation conditions (summertime) are so different from those in contest
season.  I was hoping to operate the whole 24 hours, but with this turning
primarily into a domestic contest, the generally poor conditions, and my
advancing seniority I needed a couple of breaks and finally pulled the big
switch at 0930Z.

The concentration of HQ stations in Europe really hurts the West Coast scores
(even in the best of conditions), and it certainly was interesting looking at
some of the postings where the ratio of Zones to HQ is as low as 1 to 2 in the
East, close 1 to 1 in the Midwest, and as high as 2 to 1 in the West.  Thank
goodness for W1AW/9, NU1AW/0, and VA2RAC!!

And thanks for the fun and QSOs!!

73,
Bob W7YAQ