[3830] NAQP RTTY VE7FO M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimsmith@shaw.ca
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY VE7FO M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 01:56:57 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY

Call: VE7FO
Operator(s): VE7FO, VE7YBH
Station: VE7FO

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: Vancouver
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:   23    10
   40:   60    27
   20:  111    38
   15:   25    12
   10:    4     3
-------------------
Total:  223    90  Total Score = 20,070

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Team:

Comments:

I've been monitoring the NCDXF beacons on a full time basis for the last couple
of weeks or so using Faros and an R5 vertical at around 45 ft.  There hasn't
been a day when 10 and 15 weren't open to W6.  On most of the days 10 was open
for at least 8 hours in pretty solid blocks and 15 for 12.

(You gotta try Faros if you haven't already.  It's a real eye opener.  Google
will find it for you.)

On July 8, 15 was open to W6 for the full 24 hours.  10 not so good, only 23
hours.  On the same day 15 was open to 4U1UN for 9 hours straight and 10 for 6
hours.

Well, armed with this knowledge possessed by only a few, with any luck at all,
I should clean up on the high bands, right?

Well, the 10m signals out of W6 were indeed S9 - both of them.

15 was better, there were 9 of them there.

On the brighter side, for the first time in any contest in the last few years I
worked someone on all 5 bands - Ed, W0YK.  Missed AD6WL on 20.

One of my objectives for this session was to introduce a couple of newbies to
the joys of RTTY contesting.  Well, VE7YBH is no contesting newbie but had no
experience with RTTY.  He was able to spend only a couple of hours but, at the
end, he is reported to have said, "I could get into this."   We're already
plotting strategy for CQ WW RTTY.  Unfortunately, the other newbie couldn't
make it.

It felt as if participation was down compared to previous years but that's
probably just because fewer of the signals generated get to VE7 because of lack
of sun spots.  The bands, other than 80, seemed OK but not crowded.  80 was a
slog with high noise levels (40 was very quiet - probably because I now have a
good quality balun on the dipole) and many fills required.

Haven't been very active on the contest scene for the last year or so and it
was really nice to see all the familiar calls on the screen.  Thanks for all
the Qs, guys, and your patience with the fumble fingers which appear to have
become somewhat rusty.

73, Jim Smith  VE7FO