[3830] NAQP RTTY K0RFD Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY K0RFD Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:28:21 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY

Call: K0RFD
Operator(s): K0RFD
Station: K0RFD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 9.8

   80:   29    18
   40:  124    39
   20:  200    43
   15:   13     7
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  366   107  Total Score = 39,162

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Team: Rocky Mountain RTTY Team 2

Comments:

All I wanted was to do better than last year.  Alas, that was not to be.

Murphy dropped in early.  About 35 minutes into the contest, my radio began
shutting itself off whenever I keyed up, then coming back on with the "Hello"
prompt.  Took some head-scratching, but I remembered that on my rig, that's a
symptom of RF getting into the power supply.  Fortunately, my Field Day battery
was on the trickle charger and ready to go.  I ran the whole contest on a
battery.

That took about 20 minutes.  I had some good runs before it happened, but
things were cold when I came back.  I should have put 10 more idle minutes on
the clock and used that time as one of my breaks, but I was hoarding them for
later when I knew I would be tired.  Dumb move.

Then when it got dark, some mysterious nasty noise cropped up.  It's local to
the neighborhood.  20 over 9 for 30 seconds out of every 3 or 4 minutes.  Made
it hard to run on 40 and 80--you hate to be calling CQ then have this QRM come
up and leave a response hanging because you can't hear him.  So I just worked
S&P after the noise started and worked whoever I could hear.

A week before my next contest I'm going to get out there with my portable radio
and little mag loop on a stick and find that sucker.

Still, even though my results were disappointing to me, I had a great time as I
do with every NAQP RTTY.  Worked some familiar calls and some new ones, and gave
out a lot of points to other folks.  Great contest.  I wish there were more like
this.