[3830] CQWW VHF N6WG SOSB/6 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF N6WG SOSB/6 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:50:52 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: SOSB/6 QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 9

    6:  32     14
    2:
-------------------
Total:  32     14  Total Score = 448

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was my first try at this VHF contest.  I had to limit myself
to 6m, as that's all my new K3 covers.  No 2m gear.
I was pretty disappointed in the apparent turnout.  Worked very
few stations, almost all local.  A brief opening to CO,
AZ and NM and that was it.  No WA, OR or BC, which were easy
earlier in the week.

I had built two 6m antennas, a bisquare and an EDZ, just for the
contest.  However, it appears height is more important than
antenna gain, so I wound up using my 40m dipole which is up
higher than I could get the new 6m wire antennas.

My K3 needs a good preamp on 6m in order to hear reasonably
well.  I pressed my old Ameco PT-2 into service, and it made
a noticeable improvement, but nothing like a true low-noise
6m preamp would do.  I'm waiting to see what Elecraft comes up
with, as they have one in development.
In the meantime, I have to rethink my 6m antenna plans, as the
first ideas haven't panned out.  Of course, there is nothing wrong
with them that a good opening wouldn't fix :-)
I must be the littlest alligator on the band.  I'm pretty sure
there were people answering my CQs, but I just couldn't hear them.
My thanks to those who did get on, and helped me to work them
for a few contacts in the log.

Maybe next contest condx will be better.
73, Bob N6WG
The Littlest Alligator