[3830] CQWW VHF N1PRW Hilltopper QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, as@shawsheen.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF N1PRW Hilltopper QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:52:22 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: N1PRW
Operator(s): N1PRW
Station: N1PRW

Class: Hilltopper QRP
QTH: EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 0.8

    6:
    2:   6     3
-------------------
Total:   6     3  Total Score = 36

Club:

Comments:

A first stab at contesting.  I've assembled an affordable, portable QRP station
with a bare FT-817 and my old Cushcraft 3-ele 2m Yagi on a PVC pole.

I didn't give myself enough time to operate, having other work obligations and
activities for the weekend.  I reached the summit and set up my station at 1945
UTC Sunday, not so good for a contest ending at 2100 UTC!

Weather was humid with high temps in the mid-80s and overcast skies.  While the
summit had been spared from a line of severe storms that continued to Boston, a
second line was approaching from the distant west.  I had hopes that I'd finish
before they arrived.

I set up and operated one band, 2m, and worked 6 stations fairly quickly, all
Cape Cod, R.I. and Conn. within 100 miles of Mount Wachusett.  50 minutes into
operating, a thunderstorm threatened the summit so the station got tossed into
the trunk and I left the summit to wait out the bad weather.  The weather
cleared but the contest was over.

Not bad for such a short period, though I wished I had given myself 3 or 4
hours on the summit to work more squares.  Next time I'll add a 6m dipole to
work everyone who asked for a 6m QSO that I wasn't equipped to give.