[3830] CQWW VHF VE3CRU/R Rover HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3cru@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF VE3CRU/R Rover HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 12:48:55 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: VE3CRU/R
Operator(s): VE3CRU
Station: VE3CRU/R

Class: Rover HP
QTH: EN92, 93, FN02, 03,
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

    6:  110    70
    2:   40    31
-------------------
Total:  150   101  Total Score = 19,190

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

This contest saw the worst weather ever.  Rain, thunderstorms and lots of
lightning Saturday.  Arrived near first set of grid corners 90 minutes ahead of
start time, had a quick lunch.  At 1700z the rain started and was a downpour by
the time I reached the starting point 5 min. later.  The tuning tips needed to
be installed in the 6 beam, too wet to attempt.  Got a break near 1800z but saw
lighning hitting nearby so left aluminum ladder on the roof till later, then got
beam tips in and raised on mast by 1830, to land K8GP on 6.  Now soaked to the
skin, at least it was hot out.  Not another qso till 1905.

Prop was so poor it was not wise to remain in each grid for 2 hours solid, so I
moved around more than usual between grids to give out more while conditions
allowed.  Grids were FN02, FN03 west, EN92 and EN93.  Was favoured with an
opening to Florida from 2350z to 0100z.  Also got K0KP in EN36, best to the
west from FN03.  Tired, worked W4SO last at 0108z EN93 then started driving 2
hours home, to charge batteries and sleep.

Arrived at the east grids about 1400z,a 90 minute drive, FN14 to start. Had a
good run of qso's there, including Lefty K1TOL in FN44 and moved to FN13 right
on Lake Ontario.  Ran 8 Q's there and moved on.  Caught a tree on the way out
and saw lots of leaves falling behind me.  Stopped for coffee 7 miles farther,
to see the beam spun 20 degrees cw and the center rt 3/4" tubing of front
director bent back about 20 degrees.  Pulled the beam back using a tie-down
strap over the rear of the boom and gave a side-pull.  The weather was rain at
times, nothing threatening though.  Best odx there was VE2TZT FN35, a new one,
and a few in EN91 to the west.  Moved to FN03 at 1940z and finished contesting
at 2040z.  At one point, heard a VE9 but gone before I could work him.  Only
rover heard and worked was N2SLN/R in FN12.

Worked K8GP FM19 12 out of 14 possible times, a record for me, over 600 km avg
path.

I have learned from much contesting and rovering, that when the going seems
tough or impossible, don't quit, just take a pause and return.  Been rewarded
so many times by doing this.

Many thanks to John Lindholm W1XX, CQ and the CQ WW VHF contesting team for
sponsoring this contest, and to all who stuck with me under adverse conditions
to complete the qso's.  Also thanks to all who participated globally.

73,

Bill   VE3CRU/R