[3830] IARU VE7SZ(VA7RR) SO SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va7rr@telus.net
Subject: [3830] IARU VE7SZ(VA7RR) SO SSB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 12:38:14 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: VE7SZ
Operator(s): VA7RR
Station: VE7SZ

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:           20     7       2
   80:          148    17       5
   40:          390    27      17
   20:        1,171    28      29
   15:           72    10       5
   10:           11     3       0
-------------------------------------
Total:   0     1812    92      58  Total Score = 866,700

Club:

Comments:

My first time on the air since WW CW last November.  I was not available for the
spring contest season due to some family issues, and it was good to finally get
back on the air for some competitive radio.

    Conditions in VE7 were typical for this point in the sunspot cycle - in
other words, poor.

    The highlights were surprisingly steady rates to the USA all day on 20, and
really fun burst of rate on 40 into the States at about 05Z, culminating in a
very quick 200 or so QSOs.

    It was, unfortunately, not much of a DX contest from here.  I was
completely shut out on those many Russians zones (20-26, 30-33) that normally
spice up into the mult totals.  EU was very hit or miss - we got about an hour
around 22Z on 20 where I could S&P the big guns.  At all other times it was one
way skip -I would call, and the response would be another CQ - missed about a
half dozen EU HQ stations that I encountered where I was not being heard.

    No JAs on 15, and only about five on 20.

    Had a couple of station issues - the worst was that the voice keyer failed
about 5 minutes into the contest.  We partially solved the problem by
programming a CQ into the on-board IC-7800 radio used on 20 and 80, but I ended
up in "retro-mode" with live CQing on the radio I used primarily on 160, 40, 15,
and 10. Also had a non-functioning rotor indicator on the 75M yagi; thus turning
the beam was not possible (I'm sure I won't get much sympathy on this one!).
All in all, these things had minimal effect on the overall score.

    Congratulations to K5TR and W7WA for really excellent numbers in the SSB
USA/Canada category.

    And, finally, thanks to Allan, VE7SZ, for his hospitality during the
weekend.  I've been very fortunate to have Allan as a host for many, many
contests since I moved to Canada in 1990.  He's engineered and built a great
station - state-of-the-art, lots of antennas, competitive, and a very
comfortable operating environment.

73,

Gary VA7RR