[3830] NAQP CW N6WG Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW N6WG Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 10:46:32 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 7

  160:    9     4
   80:   41     5
   40:   39    16
   20:   93    39
   15:   25    14
   10:   15    11
-------------------
Total:  222    89  Total Score = 19,758

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC Team 4

Comments:

Things started well, but after my first two QSOs, something in
my antenna switching network or my main antenna went south.
Couldn't match on any band.  A post mortem will start shortly.
After missing the first two and a half hours, I decided I wasn't
going to be able to fix the problem right then.  Had to find a
workaround that would get me back on the air.

I dug out my switchable baluns (Elecraft BL2) and hurried to
patch up a jury rig that let me operate the contest, but band
switching was slower than usual.  I connect all my 450-ohm window
line feeders with dual banana plugs, so it speeds adding a length
of line to get the system to resonance on a given band.  My
infamous WimpyWire antenna system limped, but it still worked.

I really enjoyed the bit of the 10m opening I caught.  I was
trying to take advantage of it without losing too much time
on the lower bands where signals were more numerous.  I did gain
eleven important mults there though, for a total of 89.  This gave
me my highest mults count since 2005 when I had 102.

I was able to work all bands with my jury rig, to keep my SOAB
rating.  Even on 160m I made 9 Qs and 4 mults.

A highlight of the day was walking through all six bands with
my friend Rusty, W6OAT.  This has become somewhat of a
tradition with us by now.  He gave me my only 6-band QSOs.

When all the dust had settled, I almost caught up to my usual
QSO count.  This time I only had 222 Qs, where I usually run
in the 230's.

All in all, I feel pretty good about my results with jury-rigged
antennas, my usual 5 watts and only 7 hours of air time.
I love this contest.

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs.  See you all in the SSB run.
73, Bob N6WG
The Little Station with Attitude