[3830] WAE CW N3BB Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n3bb@mindspring.com
Subject: [3830] WAE CW N3BB Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 09:34:18 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Austin, TX
Operating Time (hrs): 16
Radios: SO2R

   80:    9     0     6
   40:  161   158    33
   20:  167   252    37
   15:   22     0    11
   10:    0     0     0
-------------------------
Total:  359   410    87  Total Score = 168,411

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

You simply would not believe the difference from the east coast to this far
west. The WAE is a very very difficult contest from here. The marginal
conditions were exacerbated by a new problem here: the drought has resulted in
some serious power line arcing. I have not found it yet. I get S5 to S9 raspy
line noise on all bands. I operated all Friday night until EU was gone on 40,
and then took off three hours for a birthday party for a five year old special
kid, then was back to operate all day Saturday. My numbers were very average as
I could not hear the weak EUROs. Then I took off all of Saturday night as my
wife wanted to go out to see our musician son perform at a cool bistro out in
Johnson City, so we went and had a great time. By the time I got home, about 11
PM locally, 40 meters already was shot to EU. The conditions were poorer than
Friday night. I could work only a handful. They called and called me but most
are too weak, probably 100 W and a low or even indoor wire antenna. The few
with a yagi or some power just jump out, from the noise to solid S7 or better.
I noticed some DL spotted me on 40 meters on the OH2AQ cluster and said
"receiver problems?"

80 meters was hopeless from here. The "big guns" were weak and we had numerous
repeats both ways for the number for just a handful of terribly difficult
contacts.

When I got up Sunday morning, with only 350 or so contacts, I heard N5DX with
700, and he was hearing and working people I simply could not hear. I had the
NB open on both MPs. and that ruins the front end, so I could hear the EU
stations in there but the open front end produced that raspy bleed over from
the nearby US stations, and I had to ask most people for repeats on the
numbers. The only reason I did this was to take a shot at the 730 points for
the WRTC qualification, so there was no chance as I would be lucky to make half
the score of N5DX, so I bagged it at 9 AM or so Sunday morning and went to the
house and watched the Olympics with my wife. It was a lot more fun.

Congrats to Kevin (N5DX) and the others who stuck with it. This is a terible
time of year for a DX contest!