[3830] WAE CW PW2D(PY2ZXU) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, thomascarl@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WAE CW PW2D(PY2ZXU) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 10:28:08 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: PW2D
Operator(s): PY2ZXU
Station: PY2DM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Mogi das Cruzes
Operating Time (hrs): 32

   80:   94     9   108
   40:  236   281   111
   20:  493   503    94
   15:  269   321    68
   10:   58          40
-------------------------
Total: 1150  1114   421  Total Score = 952,723

Club: Araucaria DX Group

Comments:

Great contest!! My hat is off for Luc PY8AZT @ PT7AG - well done! The ZY7C gang
has engineered a competitive station and Luc is a good strategist. Luc, thank
you for sharing your secrets at your lecture recently at FENARCOM, Indaiatuba -
SP, these forums are arranged by Araucaria DX Group, a group that was started
and is run by Oms (PY5EG/PY2OMS/PP5EG) - I am proud to be a member of that
group!

Some stations suffered from my inexperience with N1MM to send QTC, first time
in more than 10 yrs since I did WAE-CW from Non-Eu (HZ1AB) and by then it was
CT by K1EA.
No major Murphys: Some thunder crackings but much less than normal. Remember,
we have winter here. Very heavy winds that took off half of the Director #2 on
the 20m/5el beam and threw the beam 30deg off in direction of Africa. This is
no excuse as it was before 20m opened and 1/2 director does not make a major
difference.

The 4 hour's missing operation time was caused by bad planning and Murphy's 39
minutes' visit... REMEMBER, max 3 breaks counts for the 12h rest period!

Big thanks to my host Mamiro/PY2DM who stayed almost all contest and made fine
company and catering for me, and to Jorge who picked fresh strawberrys and
various types of oranges for us. Jorge is the man that helps stringing
Beverages and does other antenna works.

Propagations were not at its best, had expected more on 15m, first day only one
qso on 10.... or did I really miss the first day opening?

Yes now I remember that Murphy visited me, why does he make those visits during
high run periods? Well, it was my own fault that he came, this can also serve as
a warning to others what NOT to do! Got thirsty and opened the water bottle for
the first time, water sprayed all over, didn't even know I had picked a water
with gas from the shelf at the supermarket. Dryed up a little and thought it
was good that it was water and not some soft drink that leaves marks on the
equipment.... but now, F1 on the keyboard did not work any more and the paddle
sent dit's for ever when I touched it. Changed keyboard, did restarts on my
slow old notebook and moved the USB cable for the MicroHam Keyer (MK) to other
positions. Radio interface to the MK worked so it was only the WinKey part that
caused problems. Last I pulled out the cable to the paddle, now it worked!
Measured short to ground on the "dit" wire, cleaned off all water and humidity
around the "dit" post on my Bencher and now back on the air.
Conclusion: Do not open any bottle or can over the operator tale - do it under
the table!

Another hint: If you need spare GU74b, get in contact with PA7TWO, my 2 new/old
tubes served well during the contest - Kees, also thanks for the QSO.
.... and thanks to everybody for all the contacts ... and QTC receptions - you
do an impressive job!

Last and most important, thanks to my lovely wife Laura who let me do the
WAE-CW in spite of the fact that during the period Friday - Sunday it was such
important events for us as: Brother-in-law 50'th birthday, Father-in-law
birthday, own birthday and for Brazil so important - Father's Day!

73!
Thomas, PY2ZXU, SM0CXU