[3830] SARTG AA5AU SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa5au@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] SARTG AA5AU SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 17:21:29 -0700
                    SARTG WW RTTY Contest

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU
Station: AA5AU

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 18
Radios: SO2R

   80:   34   330    13
   40:  143  1625    52
   20:  273  3225    65
   15:   13   140    14
   10:    0     0     0
-------------------------
Total:  463  5320   144  Total Score = 766,080

Club:

Comments:

This was an exercise in futility.  I should never have attempted to go low power
but I didn't want to mess with the amps.  This was suppose to be a tuneup for
next month's CQWW RTTY contest where I will go low power.  10 and 15 meters
were completely dead.  20 meters wasn't too bad until the A index jumped on
Sunday.  The last 8 hours were absolutely painful with rates at about 10/hr.  I
had set a goal of 500 QSO's but never made it.

Despite the contest being so poor for me, there were a couple of amazing
contacts.  At 5 a.m. Sunday morning, a good hour and a half before sunrise, I
put the PRO III on 20 meters for no apparent reason other than I couldn't find
anything else to work on 40 and 80.  The antenna was pointing to Asia short
path since the other radio was on 40 meters in hope of working JA's.  There was
a strong signal on the bandscope and it was HL2AEJ.  I called and he came right
back to me.  It was 0957Z.  Hmmm.  After working him, I moved the antenna to
Europe but there were no signals yet.  So I went back to Asia.  Occasionally
I'd see a signal pop up on the bandscope and it would be a JA working EU.  None
of the JA's were calling CQ.  I tried calling CQ one kHz away from the HL2, but
did not get any answers.

About 30 minutes after the HL contact, another signal showed up on the
bandscope, and I quickly tuned it in.  It was BT1OB calling CQ.  Could this be
possible?  It was still dark outside and a full hour before sunrise.  I called
and he heard me but didn't get my full call.  I called again and he came back
to me with a report but he was starting to fade fast. We made the contact after
a couple of transmissions.  It was unbelieveable.  I have worked China before
using low power RTTY but all three of those contacts were on 15 meters.  This
one is for the memory bank!

I missed W7 on 80 meters.  I almost missed W6 but thanks to Bill W6WRT for
moving from 40 to 80 for me.  Thanks to everyone for the contacts.  Looking
forward to CQWW RTTY despite the prospect of another low propagation struggle.

73, Don AA5AU