[3830] WAE SSB VA7ST Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WAE SSB VA7ST Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 17:36:21 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, SSB

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 9

   80:
   40:   12     0    30
   20:  216   228    78
   15:
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  228   228   108  Total Score = 49,248

Club:

Comments:

* FT-2000 + SB221
* N1MM Logger
* Tribander at 45'
* 40M phased verticals

            Qs  QTC   Mult   Score
Last year:  76   25     30   6,060
This year: 228  228    108  49,248

SFI=66, A=0>5, K=1>4

Low solar flux but good A and K levels provided solid three-hour-long EU
openings on Sat. and Sunday mornings out west (1500z to 1800z). But when the
band began to die, it fell off quickly. My final Q was at 1819Z Sunday, though
I kept an ear out every couple of hours afterward. In the final hour, only
heard OH8X and RU1A calling up high on 20M, and no other EUs at all.

Heard Lee VE7CC working 20M EU from the B.C. coast with much bigger numbers.
Alas, many of the stations he was working were in the noise here, especially on
Sunday afternoon.

40M gave me a dozen EU contacts and 10 EU countries on the phased verticals,
although conditions were close to marginal. I tried the Christman 84- and
71-degree coax phasing and it seems to work pretty well. I have this setup on
my 80M verticals as well, where it works FB, though no EU at all there, hi.

Given conditions, I'm happy with the improvement over my first WAE SSB last
year. Enjoyed a few pileups on 20M due to spots, but seemed they were mostly
low-power stations and very hard copy here -- the KWs and big arrays sure
popped through the QRM. Apologies to those I couldn't dig out of the fray.

I was surprised at the easy time I had handing off all my QTCs. Last year, it
was much more difficult due to lousy band conditions. It was nice to break 100
mults, thanks to 40M performance (zero mults last year) and improvement on 20M
(78 vs. 30 mults).

It was a pleasure to work so many familiar CW/RTTY calls on phone -- and to
work a great bunch of new stations. Thanks to all who called in.

-- Bud, VA7ST