[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K4LY Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF K4LY Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 11:12:32 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  245   128  Total Score = 43,648

Club: Carolina DX Assn

Comments:

Since tropo scatter is my favorite weak signal mode, this contest is my
favorite.  There was no 6M Es and only a little enhancement, mainly toward
Florida where I worked 7 instead of the typical two stations.  To the NE at
around 1400Z Sunday morning we worked K2SMN FN20 on 144 and 432 with great sigs
(2 x 59+ both ways on 144) and oddly heard no one else in his area!?  Sunday
night K9EA in EN71 answered my CQ on 144 and we worked on 432 as well.  Nothing
else unusual.  I had spent a very difficult two weeks taking down all the
antennas from my 55' tower, taking off the top pointy section (the top two
antennas, for 1296 and 222 were on a smaller diameter mast inside the larger
diameter mast and the bolt had broken letting those antennas were blowing free
plus the 144 5 wl yagi was hitting an oak tree that had grown a few feet), and
adding two straight sections with a flat top section and thrust bearing.  The
tower is now 66', but I didn't have time to get 902/2304/3456 back up on the
tower.  This is also probably the final chapter in my contest grade station
because with 68 years behind me, I don't think I'm capable of doing that sort
of tower work again (a neighbor helped on the ground when I took one Rohn 25
section down and added the two sections).  I did almost all the work alone with
over 40 trips up the tower.  Why so many trips?  Well, I'm not very smart, but
you should see my biceps!  Thanks for all the Qs.
Doug K4LY EM85wb SC