[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K1WHS Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1whs@worldpath.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF K1WHS Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:45:36 -0700
                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: K1WHS
Operator(s): K9PW, W2PED, N2CEI, WZ1V, N1DPM, WA1T, N4HY, SANDRA, CHEF MONTE
N1LBI, W1MRQ, K0DI, K1BX, K1WHS, BA1LY, LE1KA
Station: K1WHS

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: FN43MJ
Operating Time (hrs): 33

    6:  475    82
    2:  433    66
  222:  140    46
  432:  208    47
  903:   67    35
  1.2:   78    36
  2.3:   64    33
  3.4:   52    29
  5.7:   43    27
  10G:   34    16
  24G:    7     1
-------------------
Total: 1601   418  Total Score = 1,186,702

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

Lousy band conditions and drizzle and heavy rain made for a grueling contest.
The importance of staying in the chair was a big thing this time around. The
wet weather suppressed the results on the higher bands. We ran all bands from
50 thru 24 GHz. It was good when the rain finally stopped on Sunday afternoon
and stuff started to dry out. We had a few mishaps. The 222 KW amp blew up and
the little soldier inside  will not report for duty any more. (Ouch! Those
8877s are getting dear!) The 432 amplifier suffered a loss of power but limped
along OK. The 222 amp problem was more serious as we were reduced to 125 watts
on Sunday. Still it hardly made a difference that we could actually see. We had
no antenna or receiver problems, so that was good. Our 10 Ghz results were very
low.  We should have worked a few more grids there. Not sure why? It must have
been the rain, or possibly the lack of Lithuanian brandy this year!
    This location in SW Maine is remote from AC power lines with about 2000
linear feet of distance between my house fuse panel and the shack. We run a
good sized generator to make power. The last two contests, The generator has
failed. This time we got the repaired generator back on September 10th, just in
time. We held our breath but the thing worked flawlessly. In the past it was
overheating. Now it is running a bit too cold! At least it provided reliable
power!! We actually stayed on the air all the time. Now to figure out how to
make it warmer!