[3830] TxQP N3BB/M SO CW Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n3bb@mindspring.com
Subject: [3830] TxQP N3BB/M SO CW Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 07:36:17 -0700
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: N3BB/M
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: SO CW Mobile LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 3.5

  160:
   80:
   40:   40
   20:  260
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  300     0       0  Mults = 55  Total Score = 50,000

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Drove some great county roads at slow, swerving speeds while logging on the
steering wheel and sending all CW from the paddle. Definitely NOT recommended.

County itinerary-in order: Hays, Trav, Hays, Blan, Gill, Kend, Blan, Coml,
Hays.

The prettiest portion was the backroad from US 290 in Stonewall over to Blanco,
with one section going up way high and then coming down along the (almost
totally dry) Blanco River in Kendall County and all the way to Blanco. Then
south on 281 a brief stretch and onto 32 along the Devil's Backbone and into
Wimberly, then on home via the rural roads of Hays County past the new Mandala
Estate Winery and fabulous Tuscan restaurant and Driftwood and then the Salt
Lick! No, I didn't stop and eat....

Modest setup: FT587D at 100W and the ATAS Yaesu screwdriver antenna on the rear
trunk deck of a sedan.

>From Memory, all on 40 and 20 CW in three hours and a half:

300 Qs
5 DXCC mults
13 Counties
35 States and VE3

I suppose that will be in the neighborhood of 300 x 3 x 50-55 = around 50-55KK
points. Had one or two of the bonus things but not sure of which.

I worked maybe five stations by calling them, all on 40 meters. All the other
time I called CQ and "ran" 'em.

Every time I  got into a new county, I would pull off the road and park since
the pile ups were too fierce to try on the road. After that ten or fifteen
minute burst, I would pull out and work in motion the remainder of that county.
This was my first experience doing this and it's a total gas! The active
stations which call are, for the most part, the same bunch, and the calls and
states became familiar after a while. Of course it would be better and safer
with a driver and computer logging and sending, but it all did work out OK.

Now the hard part, to type the log (and it's tough to decipher) into TR!

Tnx to NO5W and NARS for sponsoring this really terrific state QSO party. I'm
telling you'all, if you haven't tried this mobile, you are missing out on a
fantastic ham radio experience.

Jim N3BB