[3830] CaQP N6XG M/SCntyExp HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wwham@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CaQP N6XG M/SCntyExp HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 10:28:06 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: N6XG
Operator(s): N6XG, W6SC
Station: N6XG

Class: M/SCntyExp HP
QTH: TEMPLETON
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:
   80:   82
   40:  253     51
   20:  259     49
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

W6SC -Jim- and I made a Field Day Expedition to San Luis Obispo County.  Our
setup was on a mountain ridge West of Templeton.

The radio gear planning was well thought out.  N1MM logger, Elecraft K3,
Ameriton AL-80B (thanks to loan from K6VVA), Honda 2000i generator and a Force
C4 antenna and inverted vee for 80M.  We had no problems with the this gear.

The protection from the environment was not well planned.  A tarp and some
supporting poles were going to be used for sun shade.  However, the challenge
was much greater- rain, wind and cold.

We were not successful getting the tarp cover completed on the hilltop becuase
of the wind. We dug into the hill slope away from the wind and constructed the
cover.  This worked well for hours.  However, the QRM from the blowing tarp at
times was a problem on copy.

For warmth we wrapped ourselves in mover blankets that protected some of the
equipment during transportation.

Around 7 AM on Sunday the wind shifted direction by 180 degrees.  The
protective cover blew off in the course of a couple of minutes.

At that point we thought briefly about keeping our "butts in the chairs" and
decided that we were no match for the environment.

Overall we had a good time and learned something about how it is going to be
done next year.

Thanks all for the Qs.

Walt, N6XG