[3830] CQ WW RTTY VE7FO(@VE7UF) SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY VE7FO(@VE7UF) SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 02:27:56 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: VE7FO
Operator(s): VE7FO
Station: VE7UF

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Courtenay BC
Operating Time (hrs): 29

   80:  110   219       44       8     8
   40:  269   663       35      46    24
   20:  471  1181       45      62    28
   15:    2     5        1       2     2
   10:    1     2        1       1     1
Total:  853  2070      126     119    63  Total Score = 637,560

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

Once again, more fun at VE7UF.

Only two ops this time, Duane - VE7UF, and myself - VE7FO.  We had hoped for
more but it didn't happen.  As always, we chose our entry category based on the
answer to the question, "Which one provides the most fun?"  Well, for us, more
Qs per op is the most fun.  So, we ran two SOAB positions under our respective
calls.  The idea being that when a band dried up for one, we would swap bands
and each become fresh meat on the new band.

The last time we did this, some confusion at the start found me signing VE7UF
and Duane signing as VE7FO.  The rules wouldn't allow us to swap so we used
each others' calls throughout the contest.  The net result of this was that
Duane received a plaque for VE7UF with me as the op.  Too funny.

I usually go to Duane's on a Thursday so, as the default IT guy, I can make
sure all is OK well before the test.  This is because with the driving distance
and the 1-1/2 hour ferry ride it's about a 7 hour trip, leaving very little time
to check stuff out and recover from problems.

Well, this time, I wasn't able to go on Thursday so I arrived about 90 minutes
before the start.  Normally this wouldn't be that much of a problem but, as I
haven't been in an RTTY test since last Feb, I'd pretty much forgotten how to
set everything up (CRS syndrome).  I got Duane going first (as VE7UF this time)
but it was almost 2 hours after the start before I was on (as VE7FO).  This
problem should vanish once I finish documenting the process.

We ran into an unusual frequency fight.  For about 9 hours each day the only
band open was 20.  So here we are, both wanting to get on the same band at the
same time.  While Duane has pretty decent filtering, it wouldn't let us do
that.  We ended up with one of us on 20 on Sat and the other on Sun.

Duane had mentioned to me that I should keep an eye open for Eu LP on 40 early
in the am.  Stayed up longer than I should have hoping it would show up but it
didn't.  By that time, the morning opening to Eu on 20 was happening.  Lots of
good signals but I was so tired I just knocked off a few mults and went to
bed.

I was horrified later on to realize I'd put in a 24 hour shift.  Not too smart
for someone who's been licensed for 55 years.  Got up in time to make 1 Q on 15
and one on 10 just before the end.  Thanks to K7QQ for the two triple mults.

As always in RTTY tests, there were a number of folks who scroll their calls
right off the screen before I get a chance to click on them.  At particularly
grumpy times I'd just mutter "Sayonara baby" and call CQ again.

I keep thinking I'd like to video what this looks like and send it to them.

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to note the calls and e-mail them after
the test with a nicely worded explanation of how to do it right.

Thanks for the Qs everyone.  It's nice to see the RTTY activity building up.