[3830] PaQP W0BH Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w0bh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] PaQP W0BH Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:02:30 -0700
                    Pennsylvania QSO Party

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 13

  160:   11     19
   80:   29     78
   40:   23     73
   20:   28    156
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
-------------------------------------
Total:   91    326      0        0  Mults = 62  Total Score = 31,715.0

Club:

Comments:

Score includes 9 contacts with bonus station W3OK.

A very enjoyable visit to PA this weekend. Conditions on Saturday started out
great on both 20 and 40, then faded after several hours with less than ideal
conditions most of the day until evening when 80 and 160 came through. Sunday
was a different story on 20 with booming signals all day, but never could
really get going on 40 where the missing counties likely were (ARM FUL FOR MTR
WAR). I also enjoyed taking time out to give the Hesston College ARC team some
on-air practice (see K0HC 3830 post). Three students participated this
weekend.

Thanks to the portables, rovers, and mobiles with K8RYU/m leading the way with
6 Qs (sorry I missed you in Fulton, Ralph), followed by N3LI/m and KB3CO/m. I
know K8MR was out there, but never heard him on Sunday although I kept
listening.

I worked two fixed stations 8 times: WA3SES and W3FI and four fixed stations 5
times: K3MJW K3MX N3ZK and NA3F. Unique calls worked: 275/417.

Two interesting things happened during the QP. While CQing, I got a call from
Dave, NP2I/W9 who I've worked many times in contests from the VI. He mentioned
that he lived in St Croix and I mentioned that my XYL, Lorna, also had lived in
St Croix. Dave suggested I put Lorna (K0WHY) on the air, so I did and over an
hour later they went QRT. That cuts into the rate just a bit, but was well
worth it to hear the conversation!

Another fun item was to hear a perfectly synchronized CW call sign being sent
by two stations simultaneously.  Didn't write down who he called, but KN3A
answered a call and got no immediate response from the CQing station.  He sent
his call sign again at exactly the same time that the station finally answered.
The sending speed and rhythm were identical with only a slight variation in
frequency (sidetone), and the effect was something I'd not heard before. Wish I
had the recorder running!

Thanks to the Nittany ARC for sponsoring this fine event, and thanks to all who
participated for the Qs and the fun.

73, Bob, w0bh