[3830] JARTS VA7ST Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] JARTS VA7ST Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 21:12:30 -0700
                    JARTS WW RTTY Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 22.5

   80:   96   195    16
   40:  139   296    28
   20:  350   887    75
   15:   90   193    23
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  675  1571   142  Total Score = 223,082

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

* FT-2000 and SB221
* N1MM Logger + MMTTY
* CL33 @ 45'
* 40M 2-el. EU/ZL vertical array, elevated
* 40M 2-el. AS/NA half-square array
* 80M 2-el. AS/NA vertical array, elevated

Opened with SFI = 70 | A=4  | K=1
Closed with SFI = 70 | A=6  | K=3

We even had two sunspot groups as the contest opened on Friday evening. One was
almost faded out and the other disappeared around the bend, but they both helped
keep the SFI in the 70 range, though it dipped to 69 for a while Sunday. Stay
tuned for more :)

Gotta credit this slight improvement in flux for Sunday's strong 15M opening
across NA. Was shocked to work 90 stations -- far, far better than last year.
Don't know why, but Saturday was really poor on 15M here -- only worked three
stations, though on the DX cluster I could see others (VE7CC for example)
finding action even from B.C. Speaking of VE7, I sure noticed lots of us out
there this weekend -- Lee VE7CC, Jack VE7CF, Koji VA7KO, Les VA7RN, Irek VA7RY,
and Ross VA7RME. Should have been an easy mult this year.

Had a fantastic time and, with 22.5 hours in the chair, invested more time than
usual as it seemed there was always some place open and stations to work.

15M -- worked only 1 JA and that was off the back of the beam on Saturday
afternoon. Things got cooking on Sunday morning at 1830Z or so and were strong
to US/VE until 2100Z. (I went back to 15M at 2200Z to search for Japan. Found a
bunch more SA mults to work, including CX3CCC, PX2T, HC5WW, but no JAs).

20M -- Hit the band at the 0000Z opening bell but went to 40M at 0109Z and
never returned that night. After hitting the sack at 1100Z, I got back on at
1554z to find a gargantuan (i.e. huge) 20M EU opening Saturday morning. Had to
QRT at 1650Z to take the car in for its scheduled service... back on at 1810z
but the opening had died down.

On Sunday morning, I was on at 1545Z and while EU was strong again, the opening
didn't feel quite as awesome as Saturday's main event. Still, worked LOTS of
Europeans before things over the pole got sloppy shortly after 1800Z.

40M -- strange conditions Friday night. I can switch the half-square array to
fire east or west, and on Friday night I couldn't tell the difference in
signals. Saturday things were back to normal, but it sure was odd to have
virtually no F/B that evening. Also, the 2-element verticals aimed at EU had
extremely high noise, though switched to the opposite direction (aiming SW)
they were quiet. Don't know if it's the antennas or conditions. Anyone out west
hear much from Europe on 40M this weekend?

80M -- just love the 2-element wire vertical array. Love them even more now
that I have a useful receive antenna (a wide-patterned bidirectional 270-ft
Beverage pointed due east). Worked a few JAs in the early mornings, but not a
lot out of the Pacific this weekend. Somewhat improved performance on 80M this
year, vs. using the single delta loop previously.

Kept track of the overall pace vs. last year, and found myself ahead by an hour
or so until Sunday, when 15M made a huge difference in activity -- lots of new
stations to work. Ended up with 162 more Qs than last year, thanks to great 15M
and 80M performance, countries up by 8 and sections up by 17.

This personal-best JARTS QSO-count beats 2005 by a couple (though '05 was a LP
effort). Mults were a bit shy so didn't top the 2005 best score. Next year,
with some sunspots, we'll have 10M in the mix, perhaps, and a few additional
multipliers to count.

        Band    QSOs    Pts   Cty   Sec
2008     80M      96     195    2   14
2007              66     132    1   14

2008     40M     139     296    7   21
2007             128     266    8   18

2008     20M     350     887   49   26
2007             316     811   50   23

2008     15M      90     193    9   14
2007               3       6    0    3

2008   Total     675    1571   67   75   223,082
2007             513    1215   59   58   142,155
                ----   -----  ---  ---  --------
       Change   +162   + 356  + 8  +17  + 80,927

Year-over-year comparison

Year    QSOs   Pts.   Mults    Score
-------------------------------------
2008    675   1571      142   223,082 (HP)
2007    513   1215      117   142,155 (HP)
2006    412    920      103    94,760
2005    673   1578      154   243,012
2004    586   1428      156   222,768
2003    114     --       46    12,926
2002    321    785      119    93,415

One of many highlights was working VE4AHZ for the VE4 mult on 40M on Sunday
afternoon -- with Ed VE4EAR not in the contest, AHZ was my only Manitoba mult
all weekend. Hope you also worked him. I was spotted by VE4COZ on 40M early
Friday night and got all excited (i.e. hoping to work him) until I remembered
VE4COZ is also VA7RY -- Irek, a master RTTY op, is about 15 miles away, hi.

Youngest worked was PU5OGE at 16. Most senior was N8GZ at 90 (licensed at 14 in
1933). Jack VE4AHZ was second-most-senior at 85. Sure noticed the bulge of 60s,
and thin supply of 49-and-unders. I kept thinking how quiet the bands will be
by the time I'm AARP material in a couple of decades or less. I'll just contest
like crazy and enjoy the pleasure of working all you great "oldies" while we're
all here, living the good old days right now.

So, now we get into the really heavy-duty stuff -- CQWW SSB next weekend,
followed by a pair of Sweepstakes, and then my all-time fave at the end of
November: CQWW CW. Got the antennas right where I want 'em (in the air) and
ready to go. Remember to look northwest. I'll be there.

73 and thanks for all the fun!

-- Bud VA7ST
http://www3.telus.net/va7st