[3830] IlQP VE1RGB Fixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IlQP VE1RGB Fixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:47:03 -0700
                    Illinois QSO Party

Call: VE1RGB
Operator(s): VE1RGB
Station: VE1RGB

Class: Fixed LP
QTH: Halifax, NS
Operating Time (hrs): 8

  160:
   80:     30
   40:     18
   20:     63
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
------------------------
Total:    111       0  Mults = 50  Total Score = 11,100

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Great contest, guys.  Pity about the conditions up here.  I missed the first
hour when, no doubt, 20M was at its peak.  It never did open very well.  Forty
meters, on the other hand, required my new panadapter to quickly find the CW
signals buried within RTTY and SSB, way up the band, and I had great difficulty
finding anyone who could hear me.  80M was better.  Nil on 160M although I did
listen.

The best mobile for me was N9JF/M.  I follwed him on the map all the way from
the start, south then east-bound through to Mason when he nearly lost me by
making an unexpected 180 turn and started going south again!  Final mult from
Jim was CASS for a total of eight times, every one a new multiplier for me.  I
never did quite figure out how to properly log the mobiles who were reporting
multiple counties simultaneously  -- one right after the other, I guess.

Thanks a lot, IL QP, for putting up with the Maritime Contest Club.  I think we
were there in sufficient numbers -- at least 9 guys over the period -- to have
been noticed.

It all started with a personal comment from Jim, N9JF, -- a dare, really --
attached to the routine email that announces the IL QP.  He had read something
I had posted earlier about the TN QP where I had been complaining about the
fact that the State had too many counties for us out-of-towners to get a decent
chance at the sweep, and could they do something about that by next year?  Jim
said that if I thought TN was bad, I should try IL because you had 102 counties
and probably I should consider myself quite lucky if I were good enough to have
worked only 75 of them.  Well, that's what it sounded like he was saying to me.
A challenge, if not exactly a threat. (Turns out he was right.)

The idea that the Maritime Contest Club might try to swarm the IL QP grew from
that, and all of us who had a part of making it happen would like to thank IL
for the genesis of the idea and for providing some good radiosport for us. Next
year, of course, is the ARRL Year of the State QSO Party so you may expect us
back again then, but probably with the full team next time. We'll need it:  IL
has some very good ops.

Rig K3 #095, 160M-10M delta loop; 80M-10M dipole; 80M-6M BigIR vertical

73,
Gary, VE1RGB