[3830] CQWW SSB VE6CNU SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VE6CNU SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 17:38:32 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE6CNU
Operator(s): VE6CNU
Station: VE6CNU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Calgary
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:
   80:   31     5        4
   40:   87    15       21
   20:  926    27       76
   15:  303    15       38
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1347    62      139  Total Score = 629,331

Club: ALBERTA CLIPPERS

Comments:

Wow!  I had a blast!  The conditions were far better than any contest I could
recall in the past year (which isn't saying much), but even 15m had signals on
it - although only from NA and SA.  The big change for me was this was the
first time I did the contest from home using an amp.  The FT-1000MP and FL-7000
worked flawlessly throughout, except that the fan motor on the amp makes a buzz
and when it kicks into high gear it screams so loud it overpowers my
headphones!  I discovered that when using the half power setting on the amp,
the high speed fan never kicked in and it worked pretty well like that.  If I
had to kick it up a notch to break through a pileup or noise, I could go in
high power (about 700W).  And because the amp is on the same 110V circuit as
the rest of my gear, I had to keep the lights off in the room too.  I used a
12V LED lamp to see the rig and keyboard, so it was pretty dark in here most of
the time.  During the day I had a window open, so it wasn't so bad.

Being a baseball fan, I had to watch the World Series game last night, so I
missed out on the 40m and 80m fun.

The most fun was that I had tremendous runs on 20m on both Saturday and Sunday
afternoons.  The rate meter in N1MM hit a new high of 571 Q/hr for 10 previous
QSOs!  After over an hour or two of at least 250 Q/hr I had to take a break.
And I even learned why some refer to this as a sport.  I was actually sweating
from typing so feverishly!

Thanks to everyone who made this such an enjoyable contest and I'm looking
forward to the next one.

Equipment:  FT-1000MP and FL-7000 amp to TH6DXX for 15-20m (still no 10m this
far north).  Used inverted vee for 40m and Butternut for 80m.

73 and CU in the next one.

Jerry
VE6CNU