[3830] CQWW SSB K7RL SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K7RL SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:55:34 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K7RL
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: K7RL

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: WA
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:   45    13       21
   80:  153    22       47
   40:  268    31       83
   20: 1435    36      113
   15:  320    22       50
   10:    2     1        2
------------------------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Stable conditions pumped up the score an additional 700K over last year, and
even provided some surprising low band propagation.  Of special note was a big
EU/AF opening on 160m, with strong signals up and down the band.  Stations
worked over S9 were:   LA9Z, ES5TV (59+20), LN8W, ON4UN, SN3R, CN2R, YL2SM,
GM3POI and LY2IJ.  ES5TV was so loud, I kept thinking he would eventually sign
ES5TV/W7!  I can only assume an opening like that from the west coast on a
major contest weekend is extremely rare.  Maybe a once a lifetime opportunity?

Not to be outdone, 40m had a few tricks of its own with several runnable
simplex EU openings (wow, I thoroughly enjoy working simplex SSB DX on 40m!).
It even sounds like some of the broadcasters between 7.100 and 7.200 may have
moved, as that part of the band was fairly quiet.  The only low light was poor
JA propagation both nights.  On the bright side, it provided a few extra hours
of shut eye.  Truth be told, I would rather have had the JA openings!

One more note worthy observation is the increase in BY stations.  Each year I
work more and more.  I hope one day Chinese stations will equal or surpass the
activity we see from JA.  A nice goal!

Thank you to all those that made into my log.  Itâ??s always a pleasure to work
such top notch operators worldwide.

73 de Mitch, K7RL