[3830] CQWW SSB G3WW(@G4EHT) SOSB/40 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dez.zc4dw@virgin.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB G3WW(@G4EHT) SOSB/40 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 02:54:49 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: G3WW
Operator(s): G3WW
Station: G4EHT

Class: SOSB/40 LP
QTH: Lichfield
Operating Time (hrs): 32

  160:
   80:
   40:  400    16       76
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

FT-1000MP, 100 W, multi-band vertical

To me CQWW Phone is a warm up to the main event - CQWW CW so another casual
weekend.

Same category with similar set-up to last year. Out goes the 1/4 wave wire
vertical and in comes a Butternut HF9-V. The radial system has been improved
slightly but other than that, no major changes.

40m this time was definitely better than 2007. 40 sounded more like 20 this
weekend. Clearly the low K and A index helped a lot. The polar path to North
America was in better shape and this time around and I heard several JA's,
unlike 2007. The EU path to North America was open with daylight both ends
which is actually entirely normal around sunspot minimum.

Overall the score improved significantly with more 3 pointers in the log.

Several highlights, 4 all-time new ones on Phone; 2 new band slots on 40m.

Many got away however, and most were double-mults; 100 watts to a small
vertical just not good enough to bust those really big pile-ups. 9M8Z was very
loud, along with several JA's. B3C was strong too and OX2A had the biggest
pile-up of the lot. I stumbled upon him working by numbers, already on 3's I
don't think he went around the digits a second time. These would have been
worked on the key.

Funny thing, I heard a Zone 2 working simplex on 7208 kHz. I asked if he could
listen down for Europe and he moved to 7204 kHz. Ask a stupid question...

Easy ones which I never even heard were GI, GD, GU, GJ, 9H, IS and ZB.

See you next month on CW!

Dez Watson, G3WW / G0DEZ