[3830] CQWW SSB OQ4B(ON4BHQ) SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, on4bhq@skynet.be
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB OQ4B(ON4BHQ) SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 03:02:56 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: OQ4B
Operator(s): ON4BHQ
Station: OQ4B

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: JO20AT
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:  157    10       53
   40:  193    19       70
   20:  261    23       69
   15:  122    19       46
   10:   12     5        7
------------------------------

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

Did only S&P. As I have a very restricted space station, it is impossible to RUN
in this major contest. Or you are very soon pushed away, or you miss a lot of
QSO's cause of the QRM and weak RX with small antennas.

First time I had no industrial QRM on 40 and 80 m from a nearby factory,
because due to the economical crisis this factory stopped production. So I
wanted to chase some DXCC on 40 m especially. Managed to get 70 DXCC with nice
overseas DX! But this takes time and costs lots of points. One has to make a
choice!

20 m was overloaded with loud and splattering signals, hardly workable. It
seems a lot of stations go far over legal limit power and set mic gain and
speechprocessor controls fully clockwise.
Again also lots of "QRZ" stations on the band. So if you do S&P, sometimes you
are stucked on one frequency to hear the stations callsign after about 10
minutes... and to realize then you worked the guy before... very frustrating!
Anyhow, I had a lot of fun and have even a better score then last year.

Gear didn't fail this time, last year the amp broke after 30 QSO's and costed
me 2 hours to repair it.
I tested my new MFJ-998 autotuner... it was great (see my review @ eHAM).

Setup:
FT1000 MkV field, 1 KW amp with GS31B tube (HA1YA amp)
Cushcraft MA5B, Cushcraft MA8040V and homebrew G5RV @ 7m only.
N1MM logger (simply the best)