[3830] CQWW SSB TO4X(K1XM) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1xm@underwater.org
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB TO4X(K1XM) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 18:17:29 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: TO4X
Operator(s): K1XM
Station: FS5KA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: St Martin
Operating Time (hrs): 39

  160:   14     4       11
   80:  477    18       63
   40:  781    21       79
   20:  966    23       79
   15: 1487    27       92
   10:  180    11       25
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Wanted:  Plate meter for an Alpha 76a, 78, or 374a.  Does anyone know where I
can find one?

The station consisted of an Elecraft K3, an Alpha 374a with a broken plate
meter, a Tennadyne T8 missing the largest element, a 40 meter dipole, and
inverted vees for 80 and 160.

I arrived in St Martin about a week after Hurricane Omar.  Parts of the island
were still without electricity and telephone service.  Where I was staying on
the Dutch side there were trees down and sometimes no power.  Some other areas
were worse.

Where I operated from there was little damage except for the missing element on
the T8.

The night before the contest I ran over 200 stations on 160 CW, including
working EY8MM before I even had the amplifier connected.  Friday night D4C
moved me to 160 and I discovered that the SWR on the antenna was now over 4:1
and it didn't hear very well.  The few US stations I worked on 160 all were
moved from other bands.

40 and 80 were OK, and overall up from last year.

20 was bad news.  I just couldn't get a run to Europe going.  The band was wall
to wall and Europeans heard each other louder than they heard me.  VP2E is
probably line of sight and I heard him running guys all day that I could not
work.  Maybe the loss of the antenna element had something to do with it, I
don't know.  I did have some pretty good JA runs.

15 was better, but down from last year.  It was fun being called by an SU9HP,
VU2PAI, VU7SJ, and several YB stations.

10 had a brief opening to Florida on Saturday and an opening into W1/W2 on
Sunday.  I never heard any Europeans.

TO4X in this contest is not Europa, not Martinique, not St Barts.  It is St
Martin, FS.  This is in the latest country file.  Many people did not download
the latest country file, including at least one of the major multi-multi
stations.  I know of no other station from St Martin active in the contest, so
if you worked me and your logging program did not show it as a multiplier your
score will go up.

And TO4X will be on for CW, probably as a light multi-single or multi-two.

Special thanks to Mort, W1UQ (FS5UQ) for letting me use his station.