[3830] CQWW SSB 8P5A(W2SC) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB 8P5A(W2SC) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 09:36:05 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: 8P5A
Operator(s): W2SC
Station: 8P5A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Barbados
Operating Time (hrs): 47
Radios: SO2R

  160:  365    13       49
   80:  842    24       90
   40: 1174    31      104
   20: 2809    32      116
   15: 1754    26       92
   10:  178    12       28
------------------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Real busy time for a contest and no time for a writeup

Worst high band conditions I have ever seen from 8P.  1500 fewer Q's on 10/15
than last year.  I made more European Q's on 40 than on 15, and 2/3 as many on
80 as I made on 15. By contrast, the low bands were great.  I felt loud on 80
and 160, and could hear very well after resolving a problem with my rx 4-square
that had been hounding me for a year.  The low bands were so much fun that I
didn't want to take a break and hated to see the sun come up on Sunday
morning.

Besides fixing the receive antenna (tnx N6RK), I made a bunch of station
automation changes.  Implemented computer control of the three rotors with a
custom interface.  Did not have to touch the control boxes all weekend.  Also
reimplemented the master control box that manages antennas, filters,
headphones, beverages, lockouts, and CW selection for the station.  It is now
microprocessor controlled and is far more capable than before.

While conditions were way down, the station worked great and was definitely
operator limited.

Congratulations to Rich (HC8A) and welcome back to CQWW.  Also hats off to Toni
(CU2X) on a truly remarkable score.

Thanks to my wife Kathleen for all of her help and thanks to all the ops for
the Q's and the moves.

See you in my annual low key effort for WW CW.

73, Tom W2SC 8P5A