[3830] SS CW N7WA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW N7WA Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 22:13:03 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N7WA
Operator(s): N7WA
Station: N7WA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:   83
   40:  254
   20:  626
   15:   31
   10:    0
------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

I decided to go back to single op this year. It was a personal best as I just
came out under my 1000Q goal (I tried really hard) and one section short as did
many this year. Can you believe I missed EWA? I can drive 90 minutes east and be
in EWA. Yikes!

I also joined in with livescores for this event (http://www.getscores.org/).
That was a blast. I have to thank all the other guys in the SO/LP section for
making it fun. Having immediate feedback really kept me in the seat on Sunday
even though it was a small sample of the possible players and I knew of one NW
local who was ahead of me and not participating. I think a larger number of
competitive local participants would make it even more fun. (Don't ask me how I
got my call listed 4-5 times at the start of the test - it probably had
something to do with my UTC being an hour off.)

On the equipment front, the "new' 3el 40M played very well. I had a full
complement of 10 bandpass filters (homebrewed W3NQN design) plus switching
system. These work really great and I managed to only blow up one filter on
80M.  I noticed higher rain static on 20M Sunday afternoon during some down
pours. I expect that's because it moved it to the top of the tower and it is
longer protected by another yagi.

Most of the 15M Q's were all second radio. It simply wasn't worth putting the
main rig on 15M but there was enough to keep this so-so SO2R operator plinking
away. I wasn't expecting much out of 15 so there was no disappointment.
80M did disappoint - didn't seem like there was as much activity as in the
past and the east coast opened up late from the NW for me. I think I headed
to 80M too early on Sunday and stayed too long in my fruitless search for EWA.

If I had stayed concentrated on 40M that last hour, I probably could have just

reached 1000Q's.

Loads of fun, a few sunspots would make it even better.

73
dink, n7wa