[3830] SS CW K4XU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4xu@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW K4XU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 22:24:09 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K4XU
Operator(s): K4XU
Station: K4XU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 22.5
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  191
   40:  218
   20:  544
   15:   87
   10:    0
------------

Club: CODXC

Comments:

Started on 15m since it was open. Knocked off the Caribbean and most of New
England except RI. Then moved to 20m at 22:10. The band was jumpin' and the
second hour was done with 81 Q's,6 on the 2nd radio on 40m. VY1IE called me at
2238. Life is good! Third hour, 20 died so I moved both rigs down a notch and
did 61 Q's on 40m but the band seemed weak.

I had recently had repaired both radios. The main Omni 6+ had failed during CQP
and the the Omni 6 mysteriously died over the summer. I finished fixing the O6
an hour before the contest started. I swapped radios and found the primary O6+
had gone deaf by about 40dB. My apologies to any who cursed me as an alligator.
Now I'm down to one rig and the contest is only 3 hours old. Worse, I'm getting
tired. I had returned late Friday evening having spent the two previous weeks
in Asia, 10 hours different. My clock was clearly suffering from more than the
change off daylight savings time.

The rig swap and mental lethargy caused the rate to average less than 40/hr
till I quit for bed at 0830, not helped by an ill-timed 25 minute break for
dinner. I slept for six hours. The sleep did wonders for my mental state. 20m
was hot and the rate stayed over 60 for the next five hours. Mults started to
drop away and the last, ND, was in the bag when KE0A finally pulled me from the
pile at 1853. By the end I worked at least two of everything except VT and NT.

Rate was pretty good for the rest and despite the Murphy attack I thought it
was going pretty well. 80m at the last hour was quiet and short, lots of 6 and
7s to work ...including my in-state nemesis N7OU who slapped me back into
reality with a number 63Q's bigger than mine.

Conditions were great but the rigs and the operator were not at their best this
time out. Thanks to all for the Q's. See you in the next installment.

Dick