[3830] SS CW K0AV(@N0RU) Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K0AV(@N0RU) Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 19:29:34 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K0AV
Operator(s): K0AV
Station: N0RU

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 23.9
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:   48
   40:  307
   20:  301
   15:    2
   10:
------------

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Thanks to Robb N0RU for use of his station in Teller County, CO.   A great
location.

I had intended to increase Q's on 80 meters up to 100-150 - - more like the
midwest & eastern stations do.  But, a recent S-9 noise source made 80 meters
difficult on receive....until the sloper got changed to an inverted vee turned
90 degrees from the noise.  Then the noise went way down.  Too bad I didn't
think about that until Sunday afternoon.

This year planned (and executed) the off-times much better than in the past.
That was a big improvement.

MULTIPLIERS - Missed sections:
     ND (heard KE0A weakly on 20 - back scatter)
     NLI (but heard Victor KD2HE work someone and QSY)
     NWT (never heard)

RATE:
     Always a huge challenge as a QRP station to get off to a good start - I
felt like this was a poor start - have done better:
21z = 29,
22z = 32,
23z = 36,
00z = 22,
01z = 11 (!),
02z = 27,
03z = 19 (!),
04z = 27,
05z = 24,
06z = 32
07z = 19
08z - - 11:30z = sleep

Best hour was 14z = 50 Q's
And the last 2 full hours (33 and 37) mercifully saved the day and got the
score over 100k.

The good news is that there are still 3 or 4 things that I can do to improve
the score - and they don't cost money.  That's what keeps us coming back.

Rigs: K2, FT-1000MP
Antennas: Hy-Tower, 80 mtr sloper/inv V,  2 el 40 yagi, TH-7, TH-2, 3 el 20
yagi.

Thanks again to Robb for hospitality.

73, Alan
Q  K0AV 60  CO